Friday, March 17, 2006

The Luck of the Irish?

Our daughter, Sweet Girl, is half Irish. After as many generations in America as all branches on our family trees have, that's pretty much purebred, wouldn't you agree? We gave her an Irish name because of it.

Since she is half Irish, one would think that she would get a corner on the whole "Luck of the Irish" thing, right? Yah, not so much.

The poor child has been sick since mid-February. Off and on, I would get calls from the school nurse that she was in the office with a mild fever. It was never high enough for her to go home and they were intermittent. Until February 28. I got a call that she had a fever of a 100.5 and a red throat. The nurse said she had to go home and suggested that I take her to the pediatrician for a strep test, since it was going around. So I did. And yes, she had strep.

Once we got her on the medicine, she began to rally - for a few days. By the weekend, she was running a high fever and felt rotten. Since one would generally expect to feel better, not worse, after getting medicine, I took her back to the doctor. They did a nose swab test and it turned out she had Influenza B. Strep and flu! Go figure. We took her home, tried to get as much liquid down her as possible and waited for her to go back to school.

The week of the 6-10 I think she went to school two or three times. By Monday the 13, when we had our one-hell-of-a-dump snowstorm, she was back down again. Her fever raged all day. I called the doctor again and they said that the flu would probably go on for at least another 4 days and to bring her in on Friday if she wasn't better.

I think you know where this is heading. Yeup, back to the doctor's office today. She's missed the entire week of school. She will barely eat and thus has lost 1.5 pounds (she's tiny as it is - just 36 pounds) so that's not a good thing. I told them that I really felt they needed to test her blood to see what was going on, since the flu should have been gone by now.

Well, the doctor agreed. They did a finger-stick blood test (and man, did she hate that!) to check her hemoglobin and other stuff. The diagnosis? Her iron is low, so she is mildly anemic. Moreover, the child has Mono! The "kissing disease"! I called the school nurse to tell her and she was surprised, to put it mildly. I asked her if she had seen any other children with it and she said no, she hadn't, but there are a number of kids who keep getting sick over and over like our girl. She will put out a memo to tell these parents to have their kids checked for Mono, too.

Sheesh. At least now we know what we're dealing with. The poor kid. I want her better soon. If you want, please pray for her. Don't worry; if you ask God to heal "Sweet Girl", I know He'll know exactly who you mean.

Thanks!

And in the spirit of the day, here is an Irish Blessing for you:

May you always have work for your hands to do.
May your pockets hold always a coin or two.
May the sun shine bright on your windowpane.
May the rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.


Here are some comments from this post:
Geekwif said...
Poor Sweet Girl. I hope she feels better very very soon. I can't wait to see her sweet sick little face tonight.

princssis said...
OH, so sorry to hear of Sweet Girl's illness. I didn't realize she had been sick. I do pray she is healed quickly.
So, who has she been kissing? JK

Blond Girl said...
Princess, the identity of the kisser is the subject of Champs' latest investigation... tee hee

Shannin said...
Poor SG! I hope she's feelin' top o' the mornin' soon.
And may God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

No comments: