Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Ahhh... March!

It is March 1 and I could not be happier! This means that soon the sun will come out, the snow will melt, the tulips will bloom and I will finally feel my fingers begin to thaw. I tell you, I've been cold for so long now that I actually forget what it feels like to not have my inner core constantly vibrating in a low shiver!

Just think; in a few short months I'll be able to open all the windows in this house - throw them wide and embrace the fresh air moving through our home. I can't wait! This rental house we have is so weird! First, there is the fact that it is C-O-L-D! And it's not just me who says that. Even Champs thinks it's cold. We keep the thermostat at 70 or 72 in self-defense. The back of the house by our bedrooms gets amazingly cold. Thank goodness for the electric blanket that Champs bought me for Christmas. Every night around 7:00 or so, I go back and "preheat" the bed. I throw that blanket up on high and then turn it down when we go to bed. It's lovely. It really is awful when I forget to preheat the bed. Poor Champs suffers because I glom on to him as the only heat source available. He just shrinks when I get too close. I think it must be like having a big ice cube dropped down your shirt... Except he's not wearing one and I, unfortunately, don't melt.

So... Has strep throat been making the rounds in your neck of the woods? Sweet Girl has it. Yesterday I got a call from the school nurse; SG had a 100 degree temp and a sore throat. I took her to the doctor. As the nurse was doing the culture, she looked in SG's throat and said "Oh yeah, if that's not strep, I don't want to know what it is!" So, she spent the day at Grandma's. Antibiotics for all, doc!

Gus is such a weird animal! Which is to say, of course, that he is a perfectly normal cat. Every night he comes into the room to sleep with us. He prefers my side of the bed - because of the electric blanket, I am sure. The only problem is that each night, he curls up at my feet. About 4 minutes after the light is turned off, he creeps up to my pillow. So I put him back down at the foot of the bed. He waits 4 minutes... then creeps back up to my pillow. I put him back down at the foot of the bed... he creeps back up.

Back down to the foot of the bed. Creep up to the head of the bed. Back down... creep up.... foot of the bed... head of the bed. Each time I move him, I say "no!" Finally, when the 5th or 6th cycle comes and I say "NO!" as I pick him up and then hold him down for a minute, he listens and sleeps at the foot of the bed.

Gus isn't the first kitten I've had who did this. I've broken four cats of the need to sleep on my pillow and by gum, Gus will sleep at my feet just like all the others. But man, is he a one track mind cat or what?!?!

Well I'm gonna run along. Work has been crazy lately but I think it is calming down. I need to get back into a routine that will allow me to get my work done and my blogging, too. Thanks for hanging tight with me. I'll write more soon, I promise. In the meantime, think of tulips for me, OK?


Here are some comments from this post:
Geekwif said...
Tulips tulips tulips...I'm thinking tulips! I can't wait for them to start peeking their little green heads out of the ground.
It's funny. I used to spend every night freezing too, until we got our comforter. That apparently did the trick for me. I haven't been shivery cold in bed once since we got that thing. I love it.
Thanks for blogging again. I know you're busy, but I miss your posts when you are away.
BTW, if you get a chance, go visit the two girls who commented to you yesterday. They did so as a favor to me and I think you'll enjoy their blogs.

Oreo said...
Am here from the geekwif's to tell you to post more!!! J/K. Actually I read you anyway, just don't have time to comment many places anymore as I read TOO many blogs...mainly cat blogs...ps Gus needs his own too! :)

kenju said...
Come and see my spring post - no tulips - but forsythia and daffodils.

HolyMama! said...
ok, the idea of gus regularly trying to sneak onto your pillow every four minutes is just funny. What a great internal clock he must have!
Daffodils are in bloom here (west texas), and that means tulips are next! Yea!

Faith said...
I jsut found your site through geekwif. I love it. My son-in-law was in Minn. for five weeks, training for his work. He almost froze. We live in Georgia,so it was a bit different. And Strep is making it's rounds here,as well as a terribe virus. YUK!

flipflop said...
Tulips for you!! Hope the strep goes away soon.

No comments: