Sunday, April 16, 2006

Many Crowns

Happy Resurrection Sunday!

I always look to Easter to be a great reason to get a new dress, and this year was no different. Geekwif and I went out shopping yesterday and I bought new shoes, a new skirt and top and a new dress, as well as accessories to go with the dress I had already bought for Easter. All in all, it was so much fun to go shopping and to plan all the things I wanted to do to make me and Sweet Girl look cute for the big day.

This morning I did all I needed to do; curling irons, make-up, nail polish (for me and the girl), new shoes, hat for the Sweet Girl, etc. Right on time we tumbled out of the house resplendent and ready for the service. I'll admit, the morning was a study in stylish narcissism. Sweet Girl was set to take part in her children's church program and I was ready to sing on the worship band choir.

When we got to church, though, I had the happy and thoroughly welcome reminder that it is not all about me; it is all about HIM. Worship opened with the classic hymn "Crown Him with Many Crowns" and then the children did a processional to the song "Agnus Dei" while the worship band sang. This littlest children (of which Sweet Girl was a part) had "wings" attached to their Easter finery and danced like angels. The older children waved flags and banners. At the front of the church there was a red chair set to represent the throne of God. One girl danced around with a crown of thorns while a boy danced with a royal crown of jewels. Both crowns ended up at the throne.

The poignancy of the moment almost made me forget to sing. How many times through the years have I blithely sung "Crown Him with Many Crowns" and not thought about what those crowns were? I have long assumed it meant the crowns we earn on this earth to throw at His feet. It was different for me to think about the song in terms of the crowns that He already had.

King of the Jews.

Son of God.

Son of man.

The Great I Am.

My five year-old and all the others danced on unaware of the new facet of praise they had given me. But forever more, when I see her twirling I will think of her wings, the crowns, the throne and the absolute wonder of the all powerful King who laid down his crown of jewels to wear a crown of thorns - for me and for you. As we sang in worship, "The darling of Heaven crucified, Worthy is the Lamb!"

He is Risen! He Is Risen Indeed!

As (almost) always, read on for my question of the day...

No comments: