Wednesday, February 14, 2007

When all is said and done, it comes down to love

Well, it is Valentine's Day - the day of love, hearts, flowers and candy. I've certainly had more celebratory Valentine's Days in my past - more "romantic" or "special". If I had to label this day, I would call it the "year of superglue" Valentine's Day. Because, this year, more than any so far, Champs is glued to my heart.

You see, this has been a very hard last 5 months. If you read my blog, you know that. Well, this week seems to be the topper. On Monday, I contacted the guy who is supposed to be heading up my big new freelancing opportunity and was basically given the brush off, i.e. "you're in our network of valuable writers and we'll call you when we're ready. Until then, leave me alone" type of thing. This has caused me to re-think the freelance thing. I still want to do it, but I will have to get a good full time job and then start the freelancing slower and safer in order for it to work for our family. This was a blow to my emotions, as you can imagine.

Then. later in the day, Champs was laid off from his job. They had to let the 6 newest guys go, regardless of job performance due to business slowdown. Champs' supervisor was sad to see him go, but that didn't stop them from sending him home at 6:00. This was an even bigger blow to my emotions - and Champs', too, of course.

Oh, and then we got the biggest snow storm in recent history on Tuesday morning. 10 inches of snow by5:00 p.m. and they still haven't plowed our street and school is still closed. I got back to work today but stayed home yesterday, mostly to wait out the worst of the snow and to apply for jobs online.

Today, this man I love and who I consider more self-less than anyone I know, braved the snow to go out and apply for jobs and still found the time to snowplow three of our neighbors out of their snowbound driveways. I know it's not flowery, but it is one of the things that makes me love him so much.

So why the glue thing? Well, through all of this, I have marveled at how well Champs and I have treated one another. We aren't given to yelling, calling each other names or otherwise snapping under stress. We tend to pull together and talk things out under the covers. Even though all this stuff is going on, I know he loves me and I love him. Regardless of our employment. Regardless of rent. Regardless of our lack of money. Regardless of my wish for my old "secure" job. Even though I don't know how we're going to pay the rent and the heat and the other bills, I do know that he'll be with me, holding my hand, praying with me, treating me with love and respect and trying for all he is worth to make it work for us.

And that, my friends, is superglue.



Here are some comments from this post:
utenzi said...
That, my dear girl, is what it all comes down to. Sticking together when all that **** outside is trying to tear things apart. You both have something wonderful together, BG.
Happy Valentine's Day, Blond Girl. Even if the times are bad it's good that you can look at one another and realize that you already have all that you need.

9:51 PM
Blogger Ginger said...
What a poignant post. I will definitely be keeping you and Champs in my prayers. You are so blessed to have each other...both in the good and bad times.

10:05 PM
Blogger slf1954 said...
You are both "super". You will make it through this just fine. When one door closes another one opens.

5:11 AM
Blogger GiBee said...
I just can't get out of my mind the scripture that has been carrying me through these past few weeks ... and it really seems to apply here ...
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
But, if you have a chance, and feel so inclined ... check out Jeremiah 29:11-14 ... because it is powerful! In fact, if I have a chance, I'll be blogging about it in the next few days.
In the mean time, I'm going to be lifting "Blond Girl and family" up in my prayers!

9:36 AM
Blogger Carmi said...
Your strength in the face of life's challenges is inspiring to me.
Champs: he'll easily find something even better. Anyone with a work/life ethic like his (looking out for others before taking care of his own needs) will do fine.
Freelancing: I'm learning that a successful career in this space depends on connections with more than one potential source of assignments. That way, when one goes silent, you lean more on the others. That takes time to build, of course, because it's all based on networking and relationship building. But please don't give up because one source has gone temporarily silent. You can do so much more for so many others as long as you view this as a bit of a kick in the rear.
Adversity, as you so well appreciate, breeds ambition and drive. That's very very clear in your case.

Sarch said...
Blond Girl you've got Champs, you've got Sweet Thing and most of all you've got the Lord.
All three will still be there when the unemployment struggles are nothing but a memory.
Keep the faith my friend.

Heather said...
I'm sorry to hear that, Blond Girl. You'll all be in my prayers.

No comments: