Saturday, February 3, 2007

Nine years with Champs

Wednesday morning was a few days ago, but I still must mention it. It marked an important day for me and my family. It was the nine year anniversary of the day Champs and I met.

Nine years ago I was a thirty year-old woman who was quickly becoming frustrated with being alone and following the requirements of everyone around me, so I gave up on trying to find a husband and made some major changes. I threw out my "husband requirements list". I changed clothes, parties and attitude and decided to just have some fun for a change. It was in the midst of this revolution that I met Champs in a on-line chat room quite by accident. You never know what life has in store for you when you quit looking!

In Champs, I found someone beyond special. He didn't have most of the items on my list, but he was everything I've ever wanted or needed. We talked online for a month before we met in person. By the time I met him, I already knew I was in love - I just needed the final face-to-face to make it official. And though I quickly knew he was "the one", it has been the last nine years that have proven time and time again how right I was.

Champs spends quality time with me and Sweet Girl. Every morning for at least 5 minutes we snuggle in bed together talking, laughing and tickling. On Saturdays, this time can extend to an hour or more. Sweet Girl starts each day knowing that her father loves both her and her mother. I believe this is the best gift he can give her. Just the other day she told me that when she grows up and gets married, she is going marry a man like her daddy, who will treat her as nicely as he treats us.

Champs cooks, cleans and cares for Sweet Girl. I know many women who wish their husband would help around the house, but they don't. Or if they do, it is only to man the grill for a party or to watch the kids while Mom is away at a family emergency. Champs, on the other hand, has always believed that a marriage is a partnership in which the husband is just as responsible for the home and children as the wife. While I am responsible for the over-all running of the house, Champs willingly lends a hand whenever I ask - and often when I don't have the time to ask.

Champs is a great romantic. He tells me he loves me every day with words, notes, hugs and snuggles. He refuses to belittle, hurt or tease me in any hurtful way. He's never once called me fat, dumb, lazy or any of the other things other wives have had to endure from their husbands. He tells me I am smart, capable, "cute-n-stuff" and his dream girl. He gives me confidence when I lack it on my own.

Champs is consistent. Our move to IL has been difficult for me emotionally, professionally and financially. I struggle with it daily, wanting to cut and run back to Minneapolis. Champs reminds me of why we made this move and the benefits of being here. He doesn't try to gloss over my fears or pretend that everything is hunky-dory, but he does remind me that this is a journey of faith and trust. He prays with me and encourages me to keep going.

No, he's not perfect. There are some things that drive me crazy; just like there are things about me that drive him crazy (like always being late or constantly needing him to get things down for me that are too high). The point is that he is wonderful for me. And for Sweet Girl. And that nine years ago I met him - and on Wednesday morning, he gave me a poem that he wrote just for me to commemorate the occasion.

I love that man.



Here are some comments from this post:
Carmi said...
What a beautiful entry, BG. Happy anniversary to you both: you certainly sound as if fate has been kind to you.
It's hard to not smile and be inspired after reading this.

Ginger said...
What a sweet post! Happy anniversary of your meeting, to both of you. :)

kenju said...
Congratulations on the anniversary of your meeting Champs. He really sounds like a keeper to me.

Melli said...
Hey there Blond Girl! I just saw you over at Wendy Wings place and I just HAD to stop by to tell you how much I LOOOOOOOOVE your hat! (really... that's what brought me here!)
Happy belated anniversary! I hear more and more of these internet romances - and I gotta say that judging from the FRIENDSHIPS that I have developed on-line, I think it's a great way to meet a fella! ESPECIALLY when you're not lookin! Congrats! To you both!

carli said...
What a nice entry. It sounds like once you decided you were ready for reality over fantasy, you found what you were looking for all along. Congrats.

HolyMama! said...
he gave you a poem that he WROTE JUST FOR YOU....
there must be a husband award for him. a plaque. a medal. that is the sweetest thing next to your writing of this post.
sigh...

Thumper said...
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Here's to hoping that in 3 times the length you've been married, you'll still be gushing about him :)

kenju said...
Michele told me to come back, BG and as I reread your post I stopped at the line "Champs is consistent". How important that is in maintaining a relationship - whether just a friend or a mate!

Mr. Althouse said...
That's a nice story. Ok, I'm officially envious. I guess when the time is right, everything will come together.
Michele says, "Happy anniversary."
And so do I,
Mike

Pat said...
Sounds like you have found your true love. It took me many, many years. Dreams can come true

Paul said...
Happy anniversary. Nice post.
You left a delightful comment on my "Don't..." post recently. I consider it a compliment of the highest order. Thank you.

No comments: