Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It's two a.m. Do you know where your Dr. Scholl's are?

Thanks to the indignity of low blood sugar (I didn't even take any insulin before bed! Gah!) I am up so I thought I would spend a few moments telling you a quick story before I hop back in bed. The handful of yogurt burst cheerios I ate should have done their magic by then and I will be glad to be back in bed. But first, Dr. Scholl's.

So it's Christmas and we're doing the whole send-us-a-wish-list-for-the-gift-exchange thing and I didn't really know exactly what I wanted. That is, until I got an email from Famous Footwear showing the Dr. Scholl's Toasty Moc slipper. Un Be Leave A Bell! They were a full-foot fleece slipper with a rubber tread bottom so you could wear them inside or out to get the mail. I was in L-O-V-E and quickly put them down on my list. And I got them! My future sister-in-law gave them to me in baby blue. I loved them so much that I went and bought myself another pair in pink. So I could be toasty in all moods, don'cha know.

OK, so fast forward to yesterday. I got up at 4:15 a.m. because I needed to be to work extremely early to finish the preparation for a diversity team black history month bingo game. You know, create 110 Bingo cards, send out the rules, assemble the trivia, etc. etc. etc. ANYwhooooo.... So I got up at this unholy hour and right away I put on my wonderful baby blue toasty mocs to keep from getting cold. I got dressed in the bathroom so I wouldn't wake Champs. I took my slippers off long only enough to put my socks on. Then I finished getting ready for work.

I drove yesterday, which is unusual for me - I normally ride the bus - but I had to go to the Laundromat after work (yes, it's a long and stupid story, but for now I can't do laundry here at the rental house), so the car was the easiest option. Not to mention that there aren't many buses moving at 4:45 in the morning! I got the car de-frosted and went off to The Big Company. About halfway there I looked down and realized that I was wearing teal corduroys.... And baby blue Toasty Mocs! NOT my black sketchers, like I was supposed to be wearing!

And this is just how tired I was: I did not care. I did not go home to get my shoes; I went to work in my slippers and I wore them proudly. I went to the Laundromat in my slippers and I was comfortable as heck folding my clothes. And the funny thing is - not one person noticed. Or at least, no one asked.....

But it is Valentine's Day today and when I get up I'll be putting on red jeans...And black sketchers!

Here are some comments from this post:
Geekwif said...
You are too too funny! I can't believe no one said anything to you all day! I bet your feet were nice and comfy and warm all day.


Russ said...
One day I wore my sneakers to work because I was just too damn tired to look for the Rockports.
Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!!

Suzy said...
lol this story was cute....I have done this very thing oh so many times I forget how many!! =) Now my problem is, I have two great pairs of slippers and each are missing the exact opposite foot. Ughhh....so I trance around the house with each different slipper on my feet. Hey, at least I've got the right foot on, eh? =) Loved the story and have missed visiting....been a while and I'm glad to have caught up on a few of your posts. =)
Happy Valentines Day to you and your loves!!

Shannin said...
So you're the one the whole 5th floor was talking about!! OK, just kidding. I would love to have worn my slippers in. That sounds awfully comfy.

No comments: