Monday, February 20, 2006

A Couple of Thoughts for Sunday

Thought Number 1. My sweet hubby wins the best husband award!
I don't think I came back and gave Champs the proper kudos here on my blog. Chalk it up to really busy or just plain tired; I think they both apply. Anyway....

My Valentines day rocked! Last Sunday I asked Champs what we were doing for Valentine's Day since it was on Tuesday and he leaves town at 6:00 a.m. He let on that he had something planned and had spent about $100.00 or so on me. Now, I was intrigued and ...panicked!

Why panicked? Well, I had to spend at least the same amount on him and get it by Monday evening. I considered a stainless steel bracelet but I wasn't sure he'd like it. A watch was out; he doesn't wear one. He wants an MP3 player, but the one he wants is more than $100.00. What to do? What to do? I narrowed it down to the bracelet and, the obvious choice, power tools. Now, power tools are great, but how romantic are they, really? Give the man a sander and a card that says "you smooth out my rough edges"? No man is going to like that, right? WRONG. Every person I asked on Monday unanimously said "power tools!" "No brainer, Blond Girl - get the man power tools". I had a hard time accepting this, since a power tool is basically an appliance, and if he bought me, say, a blender for Valentine's Day, I would have been a bit "put out". But, everyone assured me that men just don't see it that way. So, right after work on Monday I high-tailed it over to Home Depot and bought him a Ridgid palm sander and a Ryobi cordless screwdriver. Since I didn't think it would be very classy to write "wanna screw?" on the card, I wrote "thank you for smoothing my rough edges". He loved it. Like everyone said; a no brainer. Go with the power tools.

Now, the part where he wins an award is my gift. On Monday night when I asked him when he wanted his present, he said that he would take his then, but mine would come on Tuesday. The next day, every hour on the hour, he called to see if I had received a delivery. Nope, not yet. Was it a singing telegram, my friends wondered. I knew he wouldn't do that - not his style. Was it jewelry? Well, it could be, but why have it delivered when he could give it to me himself?

No, finally at 2:00 p.m., it came: A truly beautiful bouquet of a dozen long-stemmed red roses! In eight years together, he has never had flowers delivered to me at work and never a dozen. He had achieved the gold medal in husbandom. And it was obvious from my co-worker's reactions; the women loved them, oohing and ahhing all week and the men hated them. That's my husband: raising the bar one holiday at a time.

Thought Number 2. ¡Usted es un gato loco!
Gus is amazing. He has two kitty speeds: sleep and 95 mph. Every morning he has to try to catch one of us and is happiest leaping for our ankles. I can tell he's gotten hold of Sweet Girl when I hear loud crying and yelling "Kitty, NO!!!"

Then, when we come home, he gets "the rips", my favorite name for that particular feline habit of running frantically from one end of the house to the other as though all the hounds of hell are on his heels. Between these times, he turns into a boneless animal who can sleep upside down anywhere. And around 8:00 at night is that magical time when he actually wants to be held and will curl up and purr like crazy when I hold him and stroke him from chin to tummy. Those are the moments when I know he's accepted me as mommy.

Now, Gus is the 4th or 5th kitten I've had, so none of this surprises me. But it is fun to remember. And every time he starts up again, one of us is liable to say, "Gus, you are one crazy cat!"


Here are some comments from this post:
princssis said...
OK. I'm jealous. The last time flowers were delivered to me from AR was 1 1/2 years ago on our 13th anniversary, which is on the 13th of July. This was out of the ordinary for AR. Later that day, we had a storm come through town. There's reports there was an aloft tornado, and wind speeds were over 90mph. I was so scared. Afterward, AR proclaimed, "See what happens when I get you flowers?" I don't expect them again any time soon. If they appear, I will be heading for the basement!

Geekwif said...
That first statement (regarding the screwdriver) would have been funny! but you're right, the second was much more classy. ;)

Russ said...
Ahhh.... power tools, the next best thing to nude.
Good choice.

kenju said...
I love it when my cats get the "rips". Theya re too fat, and that running around the house like their tails are on fire is the only exercise they get!
Love the power tools and what you said about them. Mr. kenju can't use a hammer by himself, so tools or any kind would be wasted on him!

Shannin said...
Our dogs are like that - either on doggie downers or puppy uppers - no middle ground ever. When they get "the rips" we call them the Thundering Herd!

Corina Bowen said...
LOL-- My cat use to do the same thing~~she was a very stttttttrange animal.. fit in well with our family!

HolyMama! said...
You must, must, must go ahead and write the ah, 'first sentiment' even if it's with a plain old fashioned screwdriver! He will be buying you roses all the time, girl!

No comments: